: Pascal GeorgesScidPocket
is a chess
database software. It is the port of Scid for PC (bases are compatible between PC and Pocket).
In order to run ScidPocket, you need a Pocket PC (Pocket 2002 is not supported) with an ARM processor and a VGA, or a QVGA screen (the later is not well tested). Only tested with WM5 (Dell Axim x51v), but Pocket 2003 should also work.
ScidPocket requires a lot of memory (if you want to open big databases), and it is highly recommended to close all other applications before running it.
As Scid Pocket needs latest Tcl/Tk 8.5, it is mandatory to use a version of eTcl newer than rc24.
Until now, implemented features (non exhaustive list):
- Engine analysis, with the display of up to four best lines.
- Board setup.
- Load/save of Scid bases.
- Opening books.
- Several bases can be opened with the possibility to switch between them.
- Import of PGN files and export of Scid bases to PGN files.
- Game navigation with variations handling (tap and hold generates a right click in PGN window, triggering the same contextual menu as in Scid).
- Search (position, header, material & patterns). All Scid search features are available..
- Opening tree (stats related to current opened base).
- Engine tournament (several engines are available in installation package).
- Play on internet (freechess.org also known as FICS).
- Automatic game annotation by engine.
- Novag Citrine external board (trough Bluetooth).
You MUST install Scid in device (RAM), not on a removable storage like a SD Card, or it will not work (this may be fixed in the future).
Scid needs about 15 seconds to start: during this phase just be patient, and don't try to close it (it is working in the background).
Moreover, be warned that if you use a Scid database present on a SD Card, and if you turn OFF your PDA, then back ON while Scid is running, you may encounter problems (many versions of Windows Mobile "loses" file descriptors pointing to a SD Card after a suspend). So a safe place for Scid bases is also the RAM (for example the My Documents folder).
To install ScidPocket, follow those steps :
: install Etcl
(at least 1.0rc24) from Evolane
(the standard edition is a good choice, but if you use the compact one, you will not get sound support), available at : http://www.evolane.com/software/etcl/index.html
: install the CAB file : Scid Pocket will appear in program menu / games.
In order to upgrade Scid Pocket, just repeat the last step.
Scid Pocket free for Your Windows Mobile Phone
.mobi Mobile friendly download
Download Scid Pocket direct on your windows mobile phone