A new update for the Iris Browser has been released with various improvements including improved zooming and text layout, faster page loading powered by brand new networking code, additional configurability, and much more!
The Iris Browser is an advanced, high-performance and versatile Web browser application for mobile and embedded devices. Based on the WebKit rendering engine, it is specifically designed to function in resource-constrained environments. It brings the full Web experience to mobile phones, set-top boxes, mobile Internet devices, portable media players, Ultra-Mobile PCs and other embedded devices - in a fast and user-friendly manner.
Why shouldn't you get the desktop browsing experience in a mobile environment? With the Iris Browser's revolutionary technology, you can access the full Web on resource-constrained device and get the same functionality as you would on a PC.
Some core features include:
* WebKit Rendering Engine - Our developers have unparalleled expertise with WebKit, the rendering engine that is quickly becoming the de facto standard for cutting edge Web browsing. We built the Iris Browser to bring you everything that WebKit has to offer, including standards-compliance, efficiency, portability and stability.
* Customizable Interface - The graphical user interface of the Iris Browser is highly customizable. This means that we can adapt it to your specific requirements.
* Touch Screen Control - The Iris Browser is equipped with intuitive touch screen controls, giving you more control than ever over your Web browsing experience without making you navigate complicated menus.
* Advanced HTML & CSS Support - We believe in being ahead of the curve. That's why the Iris Browser supports both HTML 4 and some parts of the upcoming HTML 5 (canvas), as well as CSS 2.x and 3.x, allowing you to view cutting edge Web sites with exciting new features.
* Languages - Devices are shipped all over the world. Your software shouldn't limit your market. The Iris Browser supports internationalization of the user interface and viewing Web sites with international encodings.
* Zoom & Tap Function - The Iris Browser lets you focus on what you want to see. When you view a Web site, you're looking at the full page that is shrunk down to fit the size of your display. Nothing is missing. You can focus on what interests you by tapping on the screen and zooming into specific sections of the page.
* Multiple Windows and Tabs - You want your Web browsing experience to be smooth and simple, so we designed the Iris Browser to support multiple windows as well as multiple tabs, allowing you to easily transition between Web pages.
* Input Methods - The Iris Browser can handle any input method that's on your platform. Handwriting recognition. On-screen keyboards. iTap. Auto-complete. No problem!
* Software mouse cursor - Not all Web pages are created equal. In fact, some are impossible to navigate without a mouse cursor. The virtual mouse in the Iris Browser lets you chart your own Web experience through all sites, giving you the freedom to take a desktop browsing experience with you on the go.
* Special Effects - You want your device to be unique. We do too. The Iris Browser provides a broad range of special effects, including animations and sound effects, letting you to tailor the application to your style. Some of the existing page transitions that you can choose from include slide-in/slide-out, tear away, shatter, swirl, and many more.
* Rotating Devices - Now you can get the most out of your hardware. If you're using a device with a rotating screen, the Iris Browser automatically and seamlessly rotates the contents and reformats the page between landscape and portrait modes.
* Advanced Security Features - We want your Web experience to be fun and safe. That's why the Iris Browser includes a number of advanced security features, including phishing and spoofing protection.
* Pop-Up Blockers
The Iris Browser offers unparalleled flexibility. Its browser layer and user interface are modular and can be easily customized to meet specific requirements. The component-based design provides manufacturers with complete control over the software. The Iris Browser is portable to many devices and platforms.
* Advanced mobile key navigation
* HTTP cache optimized for low disk usage
* SSL and authenticated proxy support
* Styled Form Controls
* Netscape plug-in API
* SVG, XPath and XSLT support
* History Auto-Complete
* Efficient storage of bookmarks and cookies
* Bookmark editor, carrier specified list
* Favorite icons and history
* XHTML 1.x mobile profile support
* Customizable about: pages
Video Preview of Iris Browser
- Improved canvas support ľ curves, transparency fixes, and more
- Application cache support
- Flash reliability fixes
- The link click animation has been removed, by popular request
- A security fix in SVG support
- Preliminary RTSP support and a Windows Media plugin. Also the beginning of HTML5 audio/video support (more to come here)
- Fixes for various iPhone sites, including Google calendar and reader
- Improved graphics performance.
- Faster networking and loading of local files.
- Improved memory usage.
- Improved asynchronous behavior while loading pages.
- Support for the W3C Geolocation API.
- Support for HTML5 SQL databases and client side storage.
- Rendering improvements.
- CSS transformations and effects.
- Improved Thai language support.
- Right-to-left language fixes.
- Many general bug fixes.
- More configurability:
o Click-to-play Flash can be disabled from the registry.
o Text reflow can be enabled from the registry.
- Some crash fixes.
- Improvements to block zoom region identification and calculation.
- Much faster page loading due to new networking code.
- Various site compatibility fixes.
- Support more encodings for RSS.
- Scroll point is now preserved when going back.
- Touch Pro gesture pad sensor no longer disables when opening a dialog.
- Minor rendering improvements.
- Improved text layout and glyph spacing, including preliminary Thai support.
- Plenty of other small fixes!
- Performance improvements:
o Some pages load up to 25% faster.
o Scrolling performance improved.
o Painting speed improved.
- History fixes.
- New registry flag to control the minimum and maximum zoom levels - use at your own risk!
- Zoom scheme changes based on user requests and bug reports.
- Some site specific fixes.
- EUC-KR support improvements.
- Some hidden features.
This release is focused on bug fixes and performance enhancement. Some highlights include:
- Noticeably faster scrolling.
- Up to 25% improvement in page load time.
- Improvements to text input.
- Rendering and layout improvements.